Let Me Introduce Myself:
I’m Finola, a first-year student at Homefield and I’m going to be talking you through my experience of Homefield – starting from the summer to now.
I’ll be sharing some tips on how to make that all-important first day easier – for both students and parents!
How Homefield Helped Me Before I Even Started There:
The support I received from Homefield College when I first joined was very beneficial.
I was sent all of the following things:
- Easy to read information
- Simple, concise emails (not too often)
- Letters about induction events
All of the staff I met when looking round the college beforehand were incredibly friendly!
My Induction Experience:
I took part in an Arts & Crafts Induction event over the summertime and learnt the following things from it:
- It’s OK to be nervous beforehand – everyone’s in the same boat!
- Socialising openly with other students is key
- Tutors just want the best out of you
- All the college buildings are closer together than you think!
Tips For Newcomers Before You Start:
• Familiarise yourself with where the College is
• Read through all the information that gets sent to you
• Attend our transition and induction events if possible
• Email tutors or the principal if you are unsure of anything
• Go to the enrolment event and pick up your lanyard ready for when you start
Tips For Parents:
• Look on the Homefield College website ahead of time
• Respond to emails sent by the college
• Make sure your child’s funding to come to Homefield is secure
• Go through a checklist of items your child will need whilst at college
• Talk to your child about how they are feeling about joining Homefield
My First Term Reflections:
- I feel much more settled now
- I’ve built good working relationships with the staff
- I am enjoying my varied timetable of lessons & work placement
- I’ve become stronger managing my emotions
- I am able to confidently express my feelings and ask for help when needed
To conclude, make sure you have:
- Gathered as much information as possible!!
- Asked for guidance if you were unsure
- Got answers to ALL your questions!
- Prepared your college bag beforehand
- Had a good night’s sleep!!
Check out our socials to find out more 🙂