Stay safe this Christmas and enjoy the festivities without risk of accident or fires with these few useful tips to help keep everyone safe:
1. Avoid obstructing any escape routes or blocking main walkways with Christmas Trees, decorations or presents.
2. Check any decorative lights are working properly before putting them up and make sure they are switched off when the area is being left without supervision.
3. Make sure any artificial trees used are fire resistant by looking for a UL Label.
4. Don’t attach paper or fabric decoration to the ceiling near lights to near heaters/radiators, these can easily burn and cause a fire.
5. Consider the decoration being used – avoid small, sharp items which could present a choking hazard.
6. Keep all storage heaters away from Christmas Trees or decorations (at least 3 metres) as this would be a source of ignition.
7. Don’t overload any sockets or extension leads. Make sure that the wires are in a good condition and store away to avoid creating a trip hazard (the lead should not run under rugs).
8. Don’t leave your festive food cooking unattended – most fires start in the kitchen.
9. Take care around any open fireplaces, and make sure your clothes don’t catch fire.
10. Drive sensibly – make sure you drive to the road conditions, plan stops in long journeys, pack supplies in case of holiday traffic, and do not drink and drive.
We hope you have a merry and safe Christmas – remember, enjoying the festivities should not mean a drop in safety standards. We look forward to welcoming you all back in the New Year.